For health services to improve it is important that consumers provide feedback on their experiences. This can include compliments, suggestions or complaints.

ACT Health Directorate

ACT Health has an online feedback form that we encourage people to use.

You can also download a Consumer Feedback Form (298kb PDF) and mail it to:

The Consumer Feedback Coordinator
Patient Safety & Quality Unit
ACT Health PO Box 11

You can also contact the Consumer Feedback and Engagement Team by phone on (02) 6207 7627 or email

ACT Health Services Commissioner

The ACT Health Services Commissioner is Karen Toohey. The Health Services Commissioner’s mandate is to deal with complaints about the provision of health services and services for older people, and complaints about contraventions of the privacy principles or of a consumer’s right of access to his or her health records under the Health Records (Privacy and Access) Act 1997.

The Health Professionals Act 2004 involves the Commissioner in working with Health Professions Boards to maintain minimum standards in service provision and to protect public safety by ensuring health service providers meet suitability to practice requirements.

Complaints are required in writing and the Commission staff are able to assist you to complete the complaints form. You can contact the Commission by phone on (02) 6205 2222.

Private Health Insurance Ombudsman

 The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman (PHIO) provides an independent service to help consumers with health insurance problems and enquiries.

The Ombudsman can deal with complaints from health funds, private hospitals or medical practitioners. Complaints need to be about private health insurance or a related matter. They can be about a private health fund, a broker, a hospital, a medical practitioner, a dentist or other practitioners (as long as the complaint relates to private health insurance).

However, complaints about the quality of service or treatment provided by a health professional or a hospital should be directed to the health care complaints body for your state or territory.

The Ombudsman cannot deal with complaints about Medicare. Complaints about Medicare should be directed to the Commonwealth Ombudsman.

Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)

Anyone can make a complaint or raise a concern about a registered health practitioner or student. If you’re concerned about the health, conduct or performance of a registered health practitioner or student, you can let AHPRA know.

Making a complaint in New South Wales

If you would like to make a complaint or raise a concern about a registered health practitioner or student in NSW, contact:

Last updated: 6/11/2019