HCCA advocates for a consumer-centred health care system that
- focuses on enabling equity in health and
- ensuring access to high quality health care for people in the ACT and surrounding region.
We work closely with individuals, groups, service providers and government to ensure
- that we all participate in creating systemic change and
- that we achieve better outcomes through consumer empowerment.
HCCA develops policies, position statements and contributes to health policy discussions in several ways:
- Policy submissions
- Health Policy Advisory Committee
- Consumer Reference Groups
- Public consultations
Policy priority areas (2018-21)
- Quality and safety of health services
- Primary health care
- Self-management of chronic conditions Health of older people
- Out of pocket cost of health care for consumers
Health Policy Advisory Committee
The Health Policy Steering Committee
- provides oversight and advice in relation to policy submissions and position statements
- evaluates the quality of our policy work, and
- reports to the Executive Director.
Consumer Reference Groups
HCCA has Consumer Reference Groups in several areas that interest our members and networks.
- Health of Older People
- Quality and Safety
- Access & Design
HCCA Consumer Reference Groups (CRGs) bring together members, consumer representatives and nominees from support groups and health service organisations with a view to informing ACT Government, the Capital Health Network and health services about the needs of specific consumer groups in the ACT. These groups are open to anyone to join!
Public consultations and workshops
For some policy topics we facilitate workshops or public consultations. This helps ensure we understand the view of health consumers and we use these views in our policy work to inform systemic change and achieve better outcomes for consumers.
Last updated: 13/5/2019