HCCA runs training, events and information seminars on a range of health topics. You can find a list of our upcoming events and register for them on our Events page. Below are some of our regular topics. HCCA can adapt many of these sessions or develop a new session to meet the needs of your community group.
Taking Charge of Your Health
These talks and workshops help people get what they need from the health system. They include topics like
- Navigating the health system: Learn about the different types of health services that are available in the ACT and improve your ability to choose the right service, at the right time for you.
- Stretching your health dollar: Learn strategies for saving money in the health system. Includes bulk-billing doctors, saving on allied health, walk-in centres, private health insurance and more.
- Managing your medicines: Understand how to read a medicine label, the differences between a generic and a brand medicine and way to manage your medicines. Presented with a registered pharmacist
- Making the Most of Your Appointment: Tips and tools to help you interact with your health practitioner and confidently manage your medical records.
- Your Rights in Health Care: Learn about your rights in health care, how to make a complaint and who can help you to resolve issues and bring about change.
- Staying Safe in Hospital: Learn about the risks in health care, tips for being heard and strategies for staying safe.
- Finding Trusted Health Information: Learn how to find useful, relevant and trusted sources of health information online and tips for spotting misinformation.
- Advance Care Planning: An Advance Care Plan ensures your values and preferences are respected when you can’t voice your decisions. This session teaches people with chronic health conditions and their carers how to plan ahead.
…and more! We regularly tailor sessions for community groups to make sure they have information that is useful to their members. Contact us and let us know what you need.
Managing Your Health Seminars
These talks provide information on different topics to help people self-manage their health and live a good life. They include topics like Looking after your Feet, Gut Health, Exercising with Chronic Conditions, Managing Chronic Pain and Managing your Mental Wellbeing. Stay tuned for the 2024 calendar!
We run training a range of training courses for consumers, and health and community service staff. Read about what we offer on the Training page, or register for our public sessions on the Events page.